Pages

Monday, August 24, 2020

pbl

Meyer Gouda Cheese is a family business operating on a dairy farm in Hamilton.
Meyer uses a large open vat processing up to 5000 litres of milk per batch.
Bacterial culture is added to the milk in the vat at 29 °C to acidify the milk. 
When the coagulum is firm – it shows a clean break when tested – cutting blades stir
through the coagulum to cut it into small pieces.
When the curds are small enough, which they test by feeling the curd size in their
hands, the cutting attachments are changed for stirring attachments.
When the curds are firm enough – Meyer’s old and vintage Goudas require a firmer
curd than their milder cheeses – they are compressed to squeeze out more whey and
help them bind together.
When the moulded cheese has reached the required pH, which is indicated by the
cheese becoming more yellow, it is immersed in a brine solution. 
 After removing the cheeses from the brine and allowing them to dry overnight, they’re
coated with ‘cheese coat’ – a food-grade substance imported from Holland. 
The coated cheeses are placed on shelves in a maturing room.
When the cheese has reached the required maturity, it is vacuum packed and placed
in cool storage at 4 °C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post